Jul 10, 2010

Even little trout eat mice. - Mouse Fishing Report

The fishing the other night was tough, but we managed to roll a few fish here and there. Joe and I expected the night fishing to be stellar. On our Wisconsin spring creeks, we like warm muggy nights for tossing the mice. Things just seem more electric when the air feels like soup and the grasses and forest come alive with sound. It's just plain spooky out there on a moonless night. The farm dogs showed up at the pools we fished as usual. Friendly, but mangy. In any case, they just sit and scratch while we take turns throwing mouse patterns up and downstream.

In the end, we rolled a few fish which was plenty of excitement. The creek still had a significant stain, but I'm not sure that it matters when it comes to this sort of night fishing. I only managed to land one little trout. I am constantly amazed at the size of fly that a hungry little Brown Trout will eat. This time it took one of my foam/rubber legged creations I call the "Driftless Creature".

No comments: